Time & Location
Dec 17, 2019, 6:00 PM
High Desert Automotive Smog Institute, 12850 Hesperia Road, Unit B, Victorville, CA, USA
Classes held 6:00 pm-10:00 pm, for a total of 68 hours, on the following dates:
December 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 30
January 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23
All Material Included
All Material Included
Level 1 Engine and Emission Controls Fundamentals training is required for Inspector candidates with minimal or no experience.*
Level 1 Training provides students with basic knowledge of engine and emission controls needed to move forward with Level 2 Smog Procedures Training. The training is a minimum of 68 hours and must be completed at a BAR-certified school. To pass Level 1 training, a student must successfully complete a series of hands-on assessments and pass a written examination.
Upon successful completion of this training, students shall, at a minimum, be able to:
- Describe and demonstrate personal, shop, equipment, and vehicle safety practices.
- Describe engine theory, design, and operation for both gasoline and diesel vehicles.
- Demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities in identifying engine systems, parts and components.
- Describe emission control systems theory, design and operation for both gasoline and diesel vehicles.
- Demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities in identifying emission control systems on various vehicle designs.
- Demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities in checking ignition timing on various vehicle designs.
- Demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities in checking the operation of exhaust gas re-circulation systems on various system designs.
- Demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities in checking monitor readiness on vehicles equipped with second generation on-board diagnostics systems (OBDII).
*Experienced candidates may skip Level 1 training if they: Possess ASE A6, A8 and L1 certification; or possess an AA/AS degree or Certificate in automotive technology and have 1 year experience; or have 2 years experience and have completed BAR specified diagnostic and repair training.
Instructor: Mike Warnock
Tel: (833) 576-7664
Level 1 Engine & Emission